Knitted Sisters

Two sisters blog about knitting, crochet and whatever else catches our fancy...

Sunday, May 10, 2009

John Hughes Movie Swap

Ok, so I promised myself on my personal blog that I'd post something on our sorely neglected knitting blog this week, so here it goes...

You know, I really have no excuse for not posting here, 'cause lots has been happening in my crafting world, but the motivation to record it for eternity (or at least until the internet becomes sentient and takes over the world, or something equally disastrous), has been lacking. Anyway, getting to the point, I joined The Odd Ducks Swaps of Ravelry group and my very first swap was based on John Hughes movies, my favorites being The Breakfast Club, Some Kind of Wonderful, Pretty in Pink, and Sixteen Candles.

The Rules of the Swap: Package contents: One “big” thing (i.e. sushi roll scarf), one medium thing (i.e. wasabi inspired yarn), two little things (i.e. package of miso, chocolate, magnets, buttons, etc.) Total cost should be no more than $30. Package deadline: January 30, 2009.

I had a lot of fun putting together a package for my downstream partner.


Package contents:
  • Big item: Corkscrew scarf - the inspiration for this was the quote by John Bender: "Screws fall out all the time. The world's an imperfect place." I choose the Patons SWS in the natural slate because I felt it had a nice "corkscrew" color. ;) It was my first time doing short rows, and I really enjoyed knitting it. Once soaked and blocked (pinned in place to my ironing board 'til dry), the corkscrews on both ends held up very nicely. On further reflection I might have made the middle, "straight" section a little longer than ideal, so would only increase the length specified in the pattern by half rather than doubling it if I were to knit it again.
  • Elephant - a little crocheted elephant based on the lamp that Brian made in shop class. The light didn't go on when he pulled the trunk and he failed.
  • Claire's Earring stitch markers - These were fun to make, but tracking down the pieces to make them was an adventure. Here's a close up:


  • Cascade 220 in Shermer High School blue
  • Don't You Forget About Me by Jaime Clarke
  • A thermos (a nod to Brian's thermos) filled with pixie sticks (you know, for sandwiches)
  • Reese's peanut butter hearts for Allison's line: "When you grow up, your heart dies."
  • A card with the previously mentioned Bender quote
  • and breakfast tea :)

The thing about swaps is that you have so much fun putting a package together that you forget that you're going to get one in return. Unfortunately, my upstream bailed, but I had a wonderful swap angel who sent me this awesome package:


The awesomeness: a super cute gray pleated purse (good for either dumping out on the couch and inviting people into my problems, or carrying a bunch of stuff just in case I have to jam), a black garter scarf (inspired by Allison’s scarf in the movie), vodka (I laughed out loud when I saw this), pixy sticks (you know, for sandwiches), headbands (for makeovers), two lovely skeins of purple Pima Fresca (which is currently being knit into a scarf), tea, and chocolate.

So, it was a good first swap experience, even though my first partner bailed. :)

And in the spirit of the swap and just for fun...


Next post: All About Me Swap

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home